And while we're on the subject of the Bible Bowl this Momma is going to brag. Tony, Nick, Kailoni and our minister's granddaughter, Sophie, took 1st place in the Bible Quiz Bowl Saturday in Sabetha. Since all four last names start with "H" Tony suggested their team name be "4-H" and so it was.
I'm so proud of them because they could've gone to watch Marysville at State Volleyball (they took 3rd) or to the State Cross Country meet (Tony didn't qualify for Regionals this year) to cheer on 2 of his teammates (Joe placed 6th and Bryclin placed 16th) but they chose to go to the Bible Bowl. I'm thankful for all the time Dan spends teaching the teen class and helping them prepare each year for this. I wouldn't care if they were the last place team, it's the thought that they are reading and studying the Bible, that matters more. I thought it was super cool that the very last question of the day was asked to our team was to finish this verse "Choose you this day whom you will serve...and I thought to myself "They better not get this one wrong" as I have a collection of over 35 items with this verse on it in our house. And my kids all smiled at me as they answered it with "but as for me and my House we will Serve the Lord". Joshua 24:15
It's almost been a month since my last post and a lot has been going on but I just don't feel like blogging in detail. So on this wet, soggy day, grab a coffee or cappuccino (or run for the hills) as I give you a Reader's Digest snippet of life at my house. Here we go:
• the city has NOT worked on our street for 2 weeks (insert SAD face here)
• Mom, KJ and I to KC for my niece Kristen's very nice bridal shower (over and back in same day)
|Yep, I FINALLY got to SPIN the Big Wheel...at Branson!!!|
• Made a few quick trips to Lincoln-one for supplies for Dan and one for clothes for Kristen's wedding. Oh and Dan got a pair of COWBOY Boots. Yee Haw!!! I really like them, too. The boys are ushers and needed Black Slacks, White long sleeve shirts and black shoes and belts. Good call Kristen because Nick needed the exact same things for his trip to the FFA Convention in Kentucky (and added 3 more states his has been to). He had a blast there and they got to go up into the St. Louis Arch, had a tour of Churchill Downs and the Louisville Slugger factory/museum. Over 55,000 students attended yes FIFTY FIVE THOUSAND the largest group ever. He brought me home some magnets and smashed Pennies, too. Not sure who missed Nick more...me or his dog, Moh? (No spell √ Moh is correct). ☺ They have taught her so many "tricks". She's a great dog; (yes, I said it) calmer than our Lab was.
• I have won $30 bucks so far in the FREE Football Pick 'Em Contest this year; maybe even more because did pretty good on my guesses this week. Will know tomorrow when the paper comes out.☺
• KJ continues to take piano and violin lessons. She was named Honorable Mention as "October Art Student of the Month". She has 2 pictures on display at the Kiwanis Pancake Feed today.
• The boys are done with sports. Tony decided NOT to go out for basketball; he wants to enjoy his freedom, his Sr. year (he never got to play much anyway; even though he was pretty good). ☺
• Tony is undecided about where to go to college but Nick is pretty sure he will go to Southeast Community College about 35 miles from here and take the 2 year AG program. He went to their Open House and was impressed with all they had to offer.
• The 24th I had surgery on my left wrist; same thing they did on my right wrist but thankfully no aneurysm this time. I told him to tell Dan I couldn't cook for a month and yesterday when I had the 10 stitches removed (and didn't faint) he was telling me to wear the bandages 5 more days, etc. I said "And I can't cook for a week either, right"? He said he would right a note this time. ☺ He told me this scar will be noticeable...no doubt about it. Pathology report was good news but he just couldn't figure out how I could have so much inflammation and tendinitis. I reminded him of my injury 2 years ago when I fell on both wrists. Plus, I did scoop hard ice cream for many years. Yes; I dipped with my LEFT hand, too. I could arm wrestle just about anybody and WIN back in the day. ☺
|I won't post the one without the bandage.|
• Tony and KJ had to fix food for a grade again last week. I ♥ when they have that assignment. Dan gave their "scores" this time and of course he gave them top scores. ☺ I've also been trying more Pinterest recipes...mostly desserts though.
• Our Gospel Meeting started Sunday with former NFL player Willie Franklin. That man LOVES the Lord...he is on fire for the Lord. He holds the attention of EVERYONE, including small children. Afterwards we have been serving cookies (he calls himself "Cookie Monster") and as my Mom told him he looked like Jesus with all the "little children" flocked around him. He made me realize that I could be doing more to share the Love of our Lord. He calls 20 different people EVERYDAY and encourages them in their walk with the Lord (if they don't answer he leaves a prayer on their voicemail). He sings Hymns as he walks in Wal-Mart or other stores and most will join in or ask him to sing a certain hymn. He's NOT ashamed to seek and save the lost. Only 2 nights left. Tomorrow we are feeding him supper. Last year when he was here after supper Dan asked if he wanted to play ping pong and my 3 jumped up to head to the basement and Willie stopped them and told them to pick up their plates and carry them to the sink. I was like "SWEET"!!! (I don't usually ask KJ to help because she usually has homework or instruments to practice but she does help when I need her most). Willie is all about honoring your parents and having a "servant heart". Willie was here in 1981, it was 103º and he and Dan played tennis and Dan got heat stroke (Willie had Dan running all over the courts). When they got done they came to our ice cream parlor and got ice cream. When my Mom asked Dan WHY, he played Willie in tennis on such a HOT day his response was "Not everybody can say they played tennis with Willie Franklin". I love that man of mine!!!
• I got another 2 chapters written on my...I guess you would call it my Biography. I had to have something to take my mind off the pain in my wrist. No one will ever read it but maybe someday my kids can read it to me when they visit me in the nursing home or something and get a good laugh and cry from reading it, right?
• Enjoying the beautiful fall colors; the leaves are breathtaking. Have I mentioned I ♥ AUTUMN?
As always...Have a SON-filled week.